Pages

Saturday, March 2, 2013

Super Easy Crochet Headband or Ear Warmer Pattern

I mentioned in my last post that my best girlfriends and I spent a week in Boston/NYC. A few hours before we were supposed to leave for the airport I realized I didn't really have any ear warmers or earmuffs to keep out the cold. I had a ton of beanies that I've made, but I don't always like to wear them.... I needed to make an ear warmer and FAST!

I dug through all of my handwritten patterns and even went through some books when I finally found a pattern for a super easy and fast ear warmer! This pattern took me about 45 minutes to complete with the flower included, so I made two! If I had more time I would have lined them with fleece or flannel but they worked really well as they were in the VERY cold Boston wind and snow.



Supplies:
Any WW yarn
Size H 5.0mm hook
Yarn sewing needle
One large button

Abbreviations:
ch - chain
st - stitch
sc - single crochet
hdc - half double crochet
slst - slip stitch

Gauge: 7 hdc  6 rows = approx. 2″ square

Row 1 – ch5, sc in 2nd ch from hook, sc across to end, ch1, turn. (4)
Row 2 – hdc in 1st st, ch2, skip 2 sts, hdc in last st, ch1, turn. (this is your button hole)
Row 3 – 2hdc in 1st st, 2hdc in ch2 sp, 2hdc in last st, ch1, turn. (6)
Row 4 – hdc in each st across, ch1, turn. (6)
Row 5 – 2hdc, hdc in next 4, 2hdc, ch1, turn. (8)
Row 6 – hdc across, ch1, turn. (8)
Row 7 – 2hdc, hdc in next 6, 2hdc, ch1, turn. (10)
Row 8 – hdc across, ch1, turn. (10)
Row 9 – 2hdc, hdc in next 8, 2hdc, ch1, turn. (12)
Row 10 – hdc across, ch1, turn. (12)

*for a wider headband, keep adding stiches at the beginning and end of your odd rows until your happy with the width. Ive made one with 16 stiches across and it was awesome.

Rows 11-50 – REPEAT Row 10. (12)

Row 51 – skip 1st st, hdc in next 9, skip 1 st, hdc in last, ch1, turn. (10)
Row 52 – hdc across, ch1, turn. (10)
Row 53 – skip 1st st, hdc in next 7, skip 1 st, hdc in last, ch1, turn. (8)
Row 54 – hdc across, ch1, turn. (8)
Row 55 – skip 1st st, hdc in next 5, skip 1 st, hdc in last, ch1, turn. (6)
Row 56 – hdc across, ch1, turn. (6)
Row 57 – skip 1st st, hdc in next 3, skip 1 st, hdc in last, ch1, turn. (4)
Row 58 – hdc across, ch1, DO NOT TURN. (4)

Work a sc into the side of the headband all the way around. Try to make sure you are putting one sc in the end of each hdc row. When you hit the corners use 2 sc in sts. Join with a sl st in the 1st sc, tie off and weave in your ends!

Line up your button and sew that on using your yarn needle. Tada!!! Now you can leave the headband as is, or you can add a flower like I did.



There are a ton of different patterns for flowers that you can find, but they are pretty basic if you are not looking for anything fancy.






Simple Flower:

Leave a 6 inch tail or so, this way sewing the flower on will be easy.

Ch 3, work 7 hdc into second ch from hook. Join with first hdc creating a  circle.

5 hdc in 1st st, sc in next st (creates a petal)

repeat until your back at the 1st petal and tie off. Add a button to the center of the flower and sew onto the headband!

Enjoy!!




No comments:

Post a Comment