Pages

Friday, February 22, 2013

Hearty Pumpkin Chili

Its funny, I get so sick of summer and being hot... so I wish for winter. Then winter hits and I get so sick of being cold... so I wish for summer. Im just never happy, but at least until I have some delicious, hearty, hot foods while I sit under my blanket with a good movie and my Hunny. This chili is amazing.  The pumpkin gives it a nice creamy texture and it also gives the flavor a lot more depth. You really cant taste the pumpkin itself at all. If you want you can make this meatless and maybe add more beans to it, or play with it as you like. This makes a lot of leftovers too that you can freeze for later. Or this chili is even better the next day!

Ingredients

1 pound ground turkey
1 tbsp. butter
1 small sweet onion
1 green pepper
3 gloves garlic
14.5 oz. can diced tomato (I used fire roasted
14.5 oz. can tomato sauce
14.5 oz. can black beans
1 can pumpkin puree ( not pie filling)
3/4 cup dry lentils
2 cups chicken stock ( about 1 can, you can use vegetable or beef stock as well)
1 tbsp. pumpkin pie spice ( don't worry... )
1 tbsp. chili powder
Dash of cayenne pepper
salt and pepper to taste
14.5 oz. of chickpeas

I didn't really take any pictures of this as I should have, buts its a fairly simple process.



In a stock pot over medium high heat, add the butter and fry the onion, pepper and garlic for a few minutes. Add ground turkey and brown. Then, add all the other ingredients EXCEPT the chickpeas. Cover, reduce the heat and simmer for about 30-40 minutes stirring occasionally. Add the chickpeas and simmer for about 10 minutes more.



 Top with some parmesan cheese or Greek yogurt and serve with some cornbread!


 Give it a try, you will love it! Its very easy to make this a vegan or vegetarian dish. This can feed a whole family for very little money! Enjoy!


1 comment: